Help Needed: DVC Repository Initialization Error

Hey everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well! I’m pretty new to DVC and have been trying to set up my first project, but I’ve hit a bit of a snag. When I try to initialize a DVC repository using dvc init, I keep getting the following error:

ERROR: failed to initialize dvc repo

I’ve double-checked that I’m in the correct directory and that Git is installed and configured properly. I even made sure I have the necessary permissions, but no luck so far.

Here are a few details about my setup:

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • DVC Version: 2.10.0
  • Git Version: 2.39.1

When I was searching about this I came across these resources Troubleshooting msbi developer career dvc init fails with ERROR: unexpected error - [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified: '.dvc\\.gitignore' · Issue #4683 · iterative/dvc · GitHub based on them I’ve tried searching through the docs and forums, but haven’t found a solution that works for me yet. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any suggestions on what I might be missing or doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Looking forward to getting this sorted out and diving deeper into DVC.

Thanks and Regards :slightly_smiling_face:
Elena

hi! @elenarossi - it seems your DVC version is very very old. Can you please try a newer version?